- Sony A7Rii – This is my current camera for just about everything. I started shooting with Sony gear about two years ago because of the smaller size for traveling. I have also been borrowing a Sony A9 from Sony when possible, mostly for wildlife photography because of the A9’s high frame rate.
- Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM lens – I use this lens most often for commercial brand work and portraits.
- Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM lens – I use this lens for wildlife or for scenes I want to compress.
- Sony 16-35mm T FE f/4 lens – For night photography or wide landscape shots. If money/weight aren’t issues for you, I recommend Sony’s 16-35mm f/2.8 GM lens.
- Sony FE 1.4x Teleconverter – Paired with the 100-400mm for wildlife.
- Sony RX100 V – This is a super powerful point-and-shoot. I use it for video/vlogs and as a backup camera.
- LowePro Flipside 500 AW II – This is my current camera bag. It’s comfortable and does the job.
- Mefoto Backpacker Tripod – A good size for traveling, reasonably priced.
LOOKING FOR A STARTER CAMERA?
Overall, I recommend using what you have first and upgrading once your gear is limiting you. But if you are looking to invest in a starter camera, I highly recommend the Sony a6000. I like this camera for beginners because it is a reliable 24-megapixel camera with many of the features I love about Sony. It shoots up to 11 frames per second and has a good AutoFocus system. This camera is a great one for getting comfortable using Sony products. Unless you know what type of lens you want specifically, I recommend getting this camera with the kit lens (the lens that comes with it), and adding to your kit once you know your preferences.
OTHER PHOTOGRAPHY FAQ & RESOURCES:
- How did you get into photography?
- My interest in photography started in high school when I took an introduction to photography class. I used my dad’s old Nikon F1 camera and spent a lot of time doing black and white film photography. I departed from my photography passion in my early 20’s, which I spent traveling and working in outdoor education. I picked up a camera again in 2015 and began working as a professional photographer in 2016.
- When/how did you join the Sony Alpha Imaging Collective?
- The Alpha Collective is Sony’s ambassador program. I joined in March 2017 and have been working on various projects & trips with Sony since then. There is an application available online here.
- How do you edit your images?
- I edit my images using Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. This is a question I get often, so please stay tuned for more resources on this, including presets!
Please let me know if you have any photography related questions that I haven’t covered here by emailing me at email@example.com.
Feature photo by Renee Hahnel.