- Sony a7R III – My main camera. I love this camera because it is a 42 Megapixel camera with a mix of Sony’s best features.
- Sony a7 III – My secondary camera.
- Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM lens – I use this lens most often for commercial brand work and portraits.
- Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM lens – I use this lens for wildlife or for scenes I want to compress.
- Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM lens – I use this for travel photography. Sometimes portraits.
- Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM lens – I use this for anything wide-angle like landscape or architecture.
- Sony FE 1.4x Teleconverter – Paired with the 100-400mm for wildlife.
- Sony RX100 V – This is a super powerful point-and-shoot. I use it for video/vlogs and as a backup camera.
- LowePro Flipside 500 AW II – My camera bag for outdoor activities that require hiking. It’s comfortable and does the job.
- Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L – My camera bag for most of my trips, small enough to count as a “personal item” on flights.
- Manfrotto Befree Advanced Tripod
LOOKING FOR A STARTER CAMERA?
Overall, I recommend using what you have first and upgrading once your gear is limiting you. The best camera is often the one you have available to you. But if you are looking to invest in a starter camera, I highly recommend the Sony a6000. I like this camera for beginners because it is a reliable 24-megapixel camera with many of the features I love about Sony. It shoots up to 11 frames per second and has a good AutoFocus system. This camera is a great one for getting comfortable using Sony products. Unless you know what type of lens you want specifically, I recommend getting this camera with the kit lens (the lens that comes with it), and adding to your kit once you know your preferences.
OTHER PHOTOGRAPHY FAQ & RESOURCES:
- How did you get into photography?
- My interest in photography started in high school when I took an introduction to photography class. I used my dad’s old Nikon F1 camera and spent a lot of time doing black and white film photography. I departed from my photography passion in my early 20’s, which I spent traveling and working in outdoor education. I picked up a camera again in 2015 and began working as a professional photographer in 2016.
- What are your tips for someone who wants to get started with photography?
- How do you become an adventure or travel photographer?
- I put all my tips on pursuing a career in adventure and/or travel photography in a blog post here!
- When/how did you join the Sony Alpha Imaging Collective?
- The Alpha Collective is Sony’s ambassador program. I joined in March 2017 and have been working on various projects & trips with Sony since then. There is an application available online here.
- How do you edit your images?
- I edit my images using Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I sometimes also use CaptureOne.
- Do you lead photography workshops?
- I teach workshops and lead adventure trips throughout the year. To stay updated, subscribe to my email list (on your right), or see current offerings here.
Please let me know if you have any photography related questions that I haven’t covered here by emailing me at email@example.com.
Feature photo by Renee Hahnel.